Tsp U 1 C Form PDF Details

Are you looking for more information about Form TSP-U-1? This easy to use IRS form provides a helpful way to make contributions to your Thrift Savings Plan (TSP) account, but can be tricky to complete correctly. In this blog post, we’ll discuss the basics of Form TSP-U-1 and provide step-by-step instructions so that you can successfully file it with the Internal Revenue Service (IRS). We’ll also go over important details related to account ownership distinctions, limits on contributions and investments, tax considerations associated with TSP accounts–and much more. By the end of this article, you will be well equipped with all the knowledge necessary for filing Form TSP-U-1 with confidence!

Form NameTsp U 1 C Form
Form Length2 pages
Fillable fields0
Avg. time to fill out30 sec
Other namestsp u 1 c vs tsp u 1, tsp u 1 fillable form, tsp u 1 c, tsp u 1 c 2020 fillable

Form Preview Example




Before completing this form, read the information on the back. Use this form to start, stop, or change your ‘‘catch-up’’ contribution elec- tion to your TSP account. You are eligible to make catch-up contributions if you are age 50 or older (or if you will become age 50 during the calendar year for which you are making this election), and you are already contributing a percentage which will result in reaching the Internal Revenue Code (IRC) elective deferral limit by the end of the year. Catch-up contributions will be taken from your basic pay each pay period and invested according to your most recent contribution allocation; they are in addition to your regular TSP contributions. You cannot make catch-up contributions from incentive pay, special pay, or bonus pay. Note: Special rules apply to tax-exempt basic pay.

If you are making Roth catch-up contributions, they will continue if you begin to receive tax-exempt basic pay in a combat zone. However, if you choose to make traditional (pre-tax) catch-up contributions from taxable basic pay, your catch-up contributions will stop if you begin receiving tax-exempt basic pay.

Type or print all information. Return the completed form to the office of your service that is responsible for enrolling members in the TSP. Your service will return a copy to you after completing Section IV.



































Name (Last)














































Mailing Address (may be APO or FPO)







Zip Code








4. (







Social Security Number






Daytime Phone (Area Code and Number)




















Date of Birth (mm/dd/yyyy)


Office Identification (Service and Organization)
























You must be in pay status. (See back of form.)

Your choice will cancel all previous elections.

7.I elect to contribute the following catch-up contributions per pay period. Remember: A blank line next to a type of contribution is equal to $0 contributed.



Traditional (Pre-Tax)

Use whole dollar amounts.





Total cannot exceed $5,500




Roth (After-Tax)

}for the calendar year.


I understand that my election will continue until:

the end of the calendar year; or

I reach the annual limit for catch-up contributions; or

I submit a new election to stop or change these contributions.

I certify that I will make regular contributions to the TSP or an equivalent employer plan up to the maximum amount allowed by the IRS and TSP plan rules. I understand that my catch-up contributions are in addition to my regular TSP contributions.







Participant’s Signature


Date Signed (mm/dd/yyyy)








I understand that I must make a new election to resume these contributions.

10.I want to stop the catch-up contributions indicated below:

All catch-up contributions

Traditional (pre-tax) catch-up contributions only

Roth (after-tax) catch-up contributions only







Participant’s Signature


Date Signed (mm/dd/yyyy)













Payroll Office Number


Receipt Date (mm/dd/yyyy)


Effective Date (mm/dd/yyyy)





















Signature of Service Official



























PRIVACY ACT NOTICE. We are authorized to request the information you pro- vide on this form under 5 U.S.C. chapter 84, Federal Employees’ Retirement System. Your service will use this information to identify your TSP account and to start, change, or stop your TSP contributions. In addition, this information may be shared with other Federal agencies for statistical, auditing, or archiving purposes. The infor- mation may also be shared with law enforcement agencies investigating a violation of civil or criminal law, or agencies implementing a statute, rule, or order.

It may be shared with congressional offices, private sector audit firms, spouses, former spouses, and beneficiaries, and their attorneys. Relevant portions of the information may also be disclosed to appropriate parties engaged in litigation and for other routine uses as specified in the Federal Register. You are not required by law to provide this information, but if you do not provide it, your agency or service will not be able to process your request.


Form TSP-U-1-C (10/2012)

Provide a copy to the member and to the Payroll/Finance Office.




Catch-up contributions are in addition to your regular TSP contributions. Therefore, if you are not already contrib- uting the maximum amount allowed by the Internal Revenue Code ($17,000 in 2012 and $17,500 in 2013) through your regular TSP contributions or by contributing to an equivalent employer plan (e.g., a 401(k) plan), you must elect to contribute the maximum amount before you are eligible to make catch-up contributions. This catch-up election will not affect your regular TSP contributions.

You may start, stop, or change your catch-up contributions at any time. Your election will stay in effect subject to the conditions in Section II below. You must make a new election for each calendar year.

Your catch-up contribution election will be effective no later than the first pay period after your service receives it. Contributions will be invested according to your most recent contribution allocation. If you wish to change your contribution allocation, you may do so on the TSP website at www.tsp.gov, or the ThriftLine at 1-TSP-YOU-FRST (1-877-968-3778; outside the U.S. and Canada, call 404-233-4400).


Complete all items in this section. In Item 4, provide your daytime telephone number.




Your choice will cancel all previous elections.

Your contribution election. You can elect to make traditional (pre-tax) and Roth (after-tax) catch-up contributions simultaneously. Whatever you enter in this section will cancel all previous elections; therefore, be sure to indicate exactly what amounts you want to contribute, even if part of your election has not changed. Traditional contribu- tions come out of your pay before taxes are calculated; you pay taxes on these contributions and their earnings when you withdraw them. (If the contributions were from tax-exempt pay, you will owe taxes only on the earnings at withdrawal.) Roth contributions are made with after-tax or tax-exempt basic pay. Withdrawals of Roth contribu- tions are tax-free. The earnings associated with Roth contributions are also tax-free, but only if 5 years have passed since January 1 of the calendar year in which you made your first Roth contribution, and you have reached age 59½, have a permanent disability, or have died.

Contribution limits. The Internal Revenue Code (IRC) limit for catch-up contributions is $5,500 in 2012 and 2013. The total of your traditional and Roth catch-up contributions cannot exceed this limit. IRC limits may be adjusted annually for inflation. Check the TSP website, www.tsp.gov, to be sure that you have the most up-to-date limit amount (and the most recent version of this form).

Deductions will be made from your basic pay in the dollar amount you indicate. However:

(1)Catch-up contributions will stop when you have reached the maximum allowable dollar amount for the calendar year.

(2)The catch-up contribution amount you specified cannot exceed the amount of your pay after all other required deductions have been made. (Required deductions include regular TSP contributions and TSP loan payments.)

(3)Your traditional catch-up contributions will stop if you begin to receive tax-exempt basic pay in a com- bat zone. (Your Roth catch-up contributions will continue, however.)

(4)Your catch-up contributions will not continue into the next calendar year.

You are not eligible to make catch-up contributions if you are in nonpay status or if you are ineligible to make TSP contributions because you have made a financial hardship in-service withdrawal within the last 6 months. If you have elected to make catch-up contributions and you subsequently enter a noncontribution period, deductions will stop. Contributions will not restart automatically. You must make a new election when your noncontribution period ends.

You may stop your catch-up contributions at any time by submitting a new Form TSP-U-1-C to your service indi- cating that you want your election to stop. (See Section III.)

You must sign this section. If you do not, your request to start or change your catch-up contributions will be rejected.


If you choose to stop all or just one type of your catch-up contributions, you must complete and sign this section.


Your election should be effective the first pay period after your service receives it. You can restart your catch-up


contributions at any time, subject to the conditions above.




(To be completed by service official)

The Receipt Date (Item 14) is the date that a properly completed form is received by the office processing the request. If the form has not been properly completed, it should be returned to the service member.

The Effective Date (Item 15) must be no later than the first full pay period after receipt of a properly completed form.

You should provide the participant with a copy of this completed election for his or her records.

Form TSP-U-1-C (10/2012)