Form P85 PDF Details

The Form P85 is used to report the sale or exchange of certain types of property. This form is used to report the proceeds from the sale or exchange and to identify the seller or buyer. The Form P85 must be filed within 30 days of the sale or exchange. You may be required to pay a penalty if you do not file this form on time. Please consult with your tax advisor to ensure that you are completing this form correctly. Failure to properly complete this form can result in significant penalties. Remember, it is important to file this form on time even if there is no taxable gain on the sale or exchange.

You can find information about the type of form you intend to complete in the table. It will tell you how much time it takes to fill out form p85, what fields you need to fill in, etc.

Form NameForm P85
Form Length4 pages
Fillable fields128
Avg. time to fill out26 min 40 sec
Other namesform p85 pdf, p85 pdf, p85 forma, p85 form pdf

Form Preview Example

Leaving the UK – getting your tax right


If you need help with this form:

• go to

• phone our helpline on 0300 200 3300

if you are calling from outside the UK phone +44 135 535 9022

Yr Iaith Gymraeg

Ffoniwch 0300 200 1900 i dderbyn fersiynau

Cymraeg o ffurflenni a chanllawiau.

About this form

Use this form to claim tax relief or a repayment of tax if:

you have lived or worked in the UK, and

you are leaving the UK, and you

may not be coming back, or

are going to work abroad full-time for at least one complete tax year. A tax year is from 6 April one year to 5 April the next.

Do not fill this form in if:

you normally live in the UK and are going abroad for short periods, for example on holiday or a business trip, or

you have completed, or are required to complete a

Self Assessment tax return for the tax year that you leave.

What you need to fill in this form

Your form(s) P45 Details of employee leaving work if you

have one (your employer or your Jobcentre gives you this form when you stop working or when you stop claiming Jobseeker’s Allowance).

For definitions of:



full-time work

for the purpose of filling in this form, please see Guidance Note: Statutory Residence Test (SRT). Go to and look for RDR3 in the Search facility.

1. About you


Surname or family name (use capital letters)




Are you male or female?


















































First name(s) (use capital letters)




Date of birth





























































Your most recent address in the UK (use capital letters)




























National Insurance number, if you have one






The UK is England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland



You can find your National Insurance number on a








form P45 or P60 that you get from your employer,














a PAYE Coding Notice or a letter from us
























































































































































































For example, British, Polish, French


Phone number














































We may call you if we have any questions about this form


























Date of leaving the UK DD MM YYYY










































































































Page 1





















HMRC 09/13

1.About you continued

10How long had you lived in the UK before the date you left (or the date you intend to leave)?

11From the 6 April in the tax year you left the UK up to the date you left, were you resident in the UK?

Yes No

12Were you resident in the UK in the tax year before the tax year you left? see example below


Your date of leaving the UK was 10 August 2013

For question



use tax year 6 April 2013 to

5 April 2014










use tax year 6 April 2012 to

For question



5 April 2013
























13How many days do you expect to spend in the UK between your date of leaving the UK and the following 5 April?


14How many days do you expect to spend in the UK in each of the next three tax years?

(From 6 April one year to 5 April the next) For example, 81 days between 6 April 2014 and 5 April 2015

Year 1




Year 2




Year 3




15Which country are you going to?

16What is your full address in that country?

17Will you (or your spouse, civil partner or someone you are living with as a spouse or civil partner) have a home in the UK while you are abroad?

Yes No

If Yes, what is the UK home address


18Will you be working full-time outside the UK?

Yes No

19Will you continue to have your salary paid from the UK?

Yes No

2. Income you get from the UK after you leave

Fill in this section if you will get any income from the UK after you leave the UK.

Income includes income from property, earnings you get from UK work, a one-off bonus payment, pensions, bank or building society interest or profits from stocks and shares.



Will you get any income from a property in the UK?

If you have a property in the UK that you get income





For example, rent, property fees, interest premiums

from you may have to pay UK income tax.















For more information go to and look

























for The Non-Resident Landlords (NRL) Scheme within the


















If Yes, tell us the date from which you first started to

Search facility.


receive rental income, if appropriate DD MM YYYY





















































Page 2

2. Income you get from the UK after you leave continued


Give details of any other income you will get from the UK after you leave

If you do not know the actual amount, give an estimate

Type of income For example, rent,


Date started


Name of payer

pension, employment, interest

amount (£)


or account number
































If you will be working when you leave the UK, go to section 3 ‘Your employment’.

If not, go to section 4 ‘How you want to be paid any money due back to you’ on page 4.

3. Your employment

22Will you perform any duties in the UK from either the date you:

left the UK

started a job abroad

whichever is the later?



If No, go to question 23





If Yes, use that date to calculate the








estimated number of days you will work




more than 3 hours each day in the UK:





between that date and 5 April following





that date

























in the next tax year after that date




(A tax year is from 6 April one year to




5 April the next)




















23Do you work for the UK Government as a Crown servant or in Crown employment?

Yes No

If Yes, tell us your department’s name

24What job will you do in the country you are going to?

26How many days do you expect to spend in the UK between the date you started your job abroad and the 5 April immediately following that date?


27On average, how many hours each week will you work in your job abroad?


28Your employer’s name and address



29Will any of your employment income be paid through either:

a UK employer through a UK payroll, or

an office or agent in the UK?

Yes No

If Yes, tell us the name and address of the person paying you



What date will you start your job abroad? DD MM YYYY


Page 3

4. How you want to be paid any money due back to you

Not everyone gets a refund. It is not always possible to issue a payment to a non-UK bank account. If you are due a refund, we can either pay it to you or someone else on your behalf – they are known as a ‘nominee’. Please choose one of the following two options:


Option one – Pay into a UK bank or building


Option two – Pay by cheque direct to me or




society account


my nominee

Bank sort code

Put ‘X’ in one box














Make the cheque payable to me






















Account number























I authorise the cheque to be payable to my nominee















































Name of nominee


Account holder’s name














































Address to send cheque to


Bank or building society name and address















































































































































































Put ‘X’ in one box















This is my account



































This is my nominee’s account










You must sign this declaration.

If you give information which you know is not correct or complete, action may be taken against you.

I declare that:

the information I have given on this form is correct and complete to the best of my knowledge.

I claim repayment of any tax due back to me.




























What to do now

Put an ‘X’ in relevant box

I have enclosed parts 2 and 3 of my form P45 Details of employee leaving work

Do not send photocopies. If you have not yet received your P45 from your employer please get it before you return this form.

I can’t get a form P45

Please tell us why in the box below, for example because you are retired or a UK Crown servant employed abroad. If you have a form P45 and don’t send it to us, any repayment due to you cannot be made.

Please send this form to your tax office. You can find your tax office address by:

going to selecting Contact us and choosing Income Tax

asking your employer.

We will let you know the outcome of this claim as soon as we can.

Page 4

How to Edit Form P85 Online for Free

The p85 tax form filling in process is easy. Our editor lets you work with any PDF document.

Step 1: Select the orange button "Get Form Here" on the following page.

Step 2: Now, you can edit the p85 tax form. The multifunctional toolbar permits you to add, erase, alter, highlight, as well as carry out several other commands to the words and phrases and areas inside the file.

Enter the data required by the program to prepare the document.

stage 1 to filling out what is p85 form

Fill in the Are, you, male, or, female Male, Female, First, names, use, capital, letters Dateofbirth, DD, MM, YYYY National, Insurance, number, if, you, have, one Postcode, Phone, number Nationality, For, example, British, Polish, French and Date, of, leaving, the, UK, DD, MM, YYYY field with the particulars required by the application.

step 2 to filling out what is p85 form

You will be instructed to write down the particulars to help the program fill in the section Which, country, are, you, going, to left, or, the, date, you, intend, to, leave What, is, your, full, address, in, that, country Yes, tax, year, you, left, see, example, below Example, Your, date, of, leaving, the, UK, was, August For, question, use, tax, year, April, to, April For, question, use, tax, year, April, to, April Yes, Yes, If, Yes, what, is, the, UK, home, address Postcode, and days.

stage 3 to entering details in what is p85 form

The space days, Yes, the, UK Yes, Year, Year, Year, days, days, and days is going to be where you can indicate all parties, ' rights and obligations.

days, Yes, theUK, Yes, Year, Year, Year, days, days, and days in what is p85 form

Finalize by looking at the following fields and filling them out accordingly: Yes, and Page.

what is p85 form Yes, and Page blanks to fill

Step 3: Select the button "Done". The PDF form is available to be transferred. You may obtain it to your computer or send it by email.

Step 4: To avoid possible forthcoming troubles, it is important to possess at the very least two duplicates of each file.

Watch Form P85 Video Instruction

If you believe this page is infringing on your copyright, please familiarize yourself with and follow our DMCA notice and takedown process - click here to proceed .